Saturday, September 17, 2011

Book Review

One thing I've done since our move to Arizona is to participate in a book club. We've read a couple of books that I would recommend.


Book 1






Many of you know how I feel about Non-Fiction books...NOT my favorite! I've always considered reading as my escape - I want to disappear into my imagination (and can do so for HoUrS)! This book is somewhat of a biography. Henrietta Lacks was an African American woman who passed away in 1951 from cervical cancer. However, prior to her death, a sample of her tumor cells was taken (without her/her family's understanding/permission) and is still alive today. In fact, her cells are responsible for many vaccines and medical advances over the last 60 years. I guarantee that you've been affected by her cells, without even knowing. One example: I personally have received the HPV vaccine, which her cells played a role in developing. Remember Polio? She helped with that vaccine, too! Anyway, this book discusses her life, her disease, her family and the challenges they've faced over the years, and the medical history of her cells. Raises a lot of questions about medical ethics and civil rights and makes me glad to be born in a much better time!



Book 2




The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet



This book is a great addition to my library! Growing up, I read book after book about the treatment of Jewish people in Europe during WWII. However, I was never very familiar with the circumstances surrounding Asian people living in the United States. This is a fictional book is written from the perspective of a Chinese man in 1986 who is thrown into memories of his life as a boy in the war years (1940s). Suspicions were high and President Roosevelt issued an order in 1942 to relocate all Japanese Americans to internment camps - including this boy's friend. Highly emotional and heartbreaking, this book is a MUST READ!



I hope you'll expand your horizons as I have and check out a new book!

3 comments:

Thiago & Teri said...

i have heard good things about that hotel on the corner book. I will have to try that one out. thanks for the suggestions, I love me some good books.

Sara said...

I think that I may have to get the 2nd book for Derek and I to read. Sounds really good. And I am the same way you are about biographies. I like to escape into the world of my book.

linda said...

I'm always on the lookout for my next good read...thanks for the suggestions!